Most Viewed Stories
Cattle Corner: Beef & broccoli with plum-glazed walnuts
The 2013 National Beef Cook-Off is now accepting entries through April 15 for a chance to win $ 25,000.
Recipes can be submitted in the following categories.
• Belt-Tightening Beef, with healthy and affordable beef recipes that are great values to prepare.
• Semi-Homemade Beef, that combine beef and fresh ingredients with prepackaged food products.
• Real Worldly, Real Simple Beef & fresh Potato that feature international flavors.
• Craveable Fresh Beef & Fresh California Avocado that highlight California cruisine and cooking trends.
Enter the contest at www.beefcookoff.org.
Beef & broccoli with plum-glazed walnuts was a prize winner in the 1999 National Beef Cook-Off.
1 package (1.5 to 2 pounds) fully - cooked boneless beef pot roast with gravy
1 cup walnut halves
1 jar (7 to 8.5 ounces) Chinese-style plum sauce
Salt & pepper
3 cups fresh broccoli florets (1 to 1.5 inch)
2 cups uncooked instant rice
Fresh red plums (optional)
1. Heat large heavy nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Combine walnuts and 1⁄4 cup of the plum sauce in skillet, stirring to coat evenly.
Cook 5 to 10 minutes or until most of the moisture has evaporated and walnuts are slightly glazed, stirring frequently. (Do not allow walnuts to scorch.)Transfer walnuts to plate; spread to separate.
2. Meanwhile remove beef pot roast from package; set aside. Measure 1 cup of the gravy and place in same skillet; discard any remaining gravy or reserve for other use. (if your package does not contain 1 cup gravy, make up the difference with beef broth or water.) Stir in remaining plum sauce and pepper, as desired; heat over medium heat until hot, stirring occasionally.
3. Cut pot roast into 1-inch pieces. Add to skillet; cook over medium-low heat 5 to 6 minutes or until beef is heated through, stirring occasionally.
4. Meanwhile steam or microwave broccoli until tender. Season with salt and pepper, as desired; keep warm.
5. Cook rice according to package directions; keep warm.
6. Place rice in center of platter; spoon beef and gravy over rice. Arrange broccoli and walnuts around rice. Garnish with plums, if desired.
Total preparation and cooking time: 30 minutes.
Makes: 6 servings.